Saturday, November 30, 2013

First Round of Editing

My first round of editing is always basic. I do not focus on grammar or sentences as I'll certainly be changing 90% of them. My writing is horrible at break neck speeds, which is almost all my writing. I look for big picture stuff.

Here is what I do on my first round.


Read the story front to back no comments or edits. Then go back anywhere in the story and start the notes and changes.

Fix the wibble if it doesn't need to be cut - a wibble is what I call a "Fix it later" moment in my story. A Wrimo gave the word to me. I can search through my document and find the wibbles easily. Fixing wibbles is my job, not any beta readers. Though, if they have suggestions they are always welcome.
 
Line Editing
Look for declarative sentences and descriptions that are backed up w/ nothing. Show the reader or provide proof at least if you're telling them something.
 
I repeat myself a lot. Delete or re-word. I don't bother referencing a thesaurus when I write. I use the same word over and over. I also use the same type of description over and over.
 
Non-Line Editing
Does the story make sense? Do the scenes flow together and have logical progression? Make sure everything moves naturally and in order. This one is pretty important to me. I tend to know the story and forget to explain things to the reader.
 
Reader reaction – How you felt the about the story as the reader, in short did you like, why or why not. What parts did you enjoy the most? Why? Where did it slow? Did you identify with the protagonist? Why or why not?  Any unanswered questions or something left unexplained?
 
Characters – How much depth do they have? Do you like them, do you like to hate them? Does anyone feel flat or fake? Are each of them unique? Do they develop in believable ways?
 
Dialogue – Believability? Does it flow? Does it seem in character? Does each character have a unique voice?
 
Hooks – Are they there? Was your interest kept why or why not? Was the opening strong? Does the middle weaken? How did you feel about the end?
 
Conflict – Is the conflict felt and does it create tension? Are the stakes high? Do you care if it's resolved? Does the tension rise? Is the tension high enough or to high? Are there subplots that are more distractions then additions to the story a whole? Was there a climax?
 
Recommended reading - Either a non-fiction work(blog, book etc) that covers what you considered the weakness, and/or a work that pulls off what the writer is trying to do really well so as to give them an example to be inspired by.
 
 
That is what I like in my first round of editing my extremely rough draft. After this, I start analyzing each paragraph, each page, each chapter. That is where I re-write sentences, cut fluff, and add content.
 
 
More later on the second and third rounds of editing.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks! I haven't even thought about editing yet, since my story is not finished, but I will definitely reference this once I sit down to do it.

    ReplyDelete